[lbo-talk] The raids against immigrant workers

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 21:03:25 PST 2006

Dude,

I have BEEN to Chertoff's private jail in Tacoma and gotten people out. Me. Physically. I have been to immigration court and I've given people off-line advice about how to deal with the system. I have helped illegal immigrants time and time again and sometimes the best thing they can do for themselves is to GO HOME.

You HAVE to understand what the system really is, not some silly Leninist notion.

These ICE raids on the meatpacking industry come only after decades of racketeering throughout the food industry where packers, producers and distributors blatantly and deliberately import illegal labor to force down wages. They were a slap on the wrist. They were done for publicity. There's just no question about that.

Are you on the side of Swift Meats? You think Swift is importing these Mexicans to do them a fucking favor? By your theory, Swift is more of a champion for Mexican rights than La Raza. Do you really think that? Ask yourself this: why doesn't Swift just build a plant in fucking Oaxaca or Chihuahua? They want the America subsidies, dude. American subsidies plus Mexican workers - the best of both worlds.

Homeland Security terribly mistreats the very small number of immigrants it actually gets its hands on with IN ORDER to intimidate a very large number of immigrants. They do this with the FULL KNOWLEDGE that they are pushing immigrants TOWARDS illegal status. They make the formal system impossible to deal with so that immigrants will turn illegal or stay illegal and thus remain cheap labor.

You act as though the US Government actually deports a significant number of the people who have immigration judgments against them. That's just a joke. You can hardly FIND an immigrant who hasn't had a negative finding or a deportation order against her at some time. Any reasonable analysis of the US immigration system leads to one conclusion - it is there to create a legal underclass. It's practically straight out of Foucault.

This image of the US Government sending herds of illegales South of the border is just nonsense. Millions and millions of people have come in SINCE 9/11 and the government did fuck-all about it. You think that big fence proposal is anything more than a boondoggle for defense contractors? Have you BEEN to the Chihuahan desert? It's ridiculous.

ICE could be deporting not thousands but hundreds of thousands if they really cared. They don't. The suffering of detainees and deportees is BY DESIGN. The system is made for extra cruelty, not efficiency. It is there to intimidate, not deport or detain any significant percentage of illegal workers.

It's very, very, very clear what American capital wants. The evidence is overwhelming. American capital wants cheap, foreign labor. All the better if that cheap, foreign labor is right here in the U.S.A., intimidated, ununionizable, without whistle-blowers, desperate for hard currency for their families. That's what American capital wants and THAT is why the system works the way it does.

The meat packing industry blatantly conspired in a racket to import illegal workers. They condoned and supported identity theft and EVERYBODY knows it. These workers in Colorado and Iowa were building their lives on a corporate lie. They thought they were building a community on honest work, but it's better for Swift and American capital if they realize that they are just replaceable nobodies.

Wake up.

boddi