[lbo-talk] Paradox

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Tue Dec 19 20:27:44 PST 2006

Michael Pollak wrote:

> It's my premise -- which I don't think anyone is disputing? -- that the
> majority of US troops will be in Iraq two years from now. And given that
> that is going to be true, I'm was wondering about its consequences -- and
> found myself surprised at how beneficial they seemed to our side.
========================== Smug and easy to say if you're not among the millions of Iraqis lacking basic services and living in daily fear for your physical safety or an American with someone close to them exposed to combat. This "our side" you refer to as "benefiting" from this miserable occupation - who are they and how are they benefiting? Other countries threatened by US imperialism don't see this as interesting intellectual exercise nor do they share your enthusiasm about the continued presence of US troops in Iraq.

I don't know whether the majority of US troops will be in Iraq two years from now - it will depend on how the situation continues to evolve - and neither do you. In any case, continued occupation isn't a justification for continued occupation.