[lbo-talk] Paradox

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Dec 19 10:30:46 PST 2006

On Dec 19, 2006, at 9:24 AM, Michael Pollak wrote:

>> The overwhelming majority of Iraqis wants the US out. Who are we
>> to doubt them?
>
> I don't doubt them. That wasn't the question. The majority of us
> want them out too. I'm asking, from a value-neutral (or amoral)
> perspective, will it make them better off? And if so, how? Just
> out of curiosity and the will to knowledge.

There's no way we could ever know. But didn't you post a WashPost piece by their excellent reporter Anthony Shadid with the title - a quote from an Iraqi - "How could it get any worse?" Of course it could always get worse, but that's not the point. It's a living hell right now, our military caused it, and 70+% of Iraqis want us out. Everything else is commentary.

Doug