[lbo-talk] P-9 and meatpacking deunionization (was: The raids against immigrant workers)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Dec 20 08:54:50 PST 2006

On Dec 20, 2006, at 1:40 PM, Eric wrote:

> Stop caring about GM's and Ford's state of fuckedness or
> unfuckedness? This tactic of unions strategizing and siding with
> capital hasn't worked out real well for the former, has it?....
> This is a very strange turn you are taking here. Sounds like you
> are advocating a revival of the postwar capital-labor truce.

No, exactly the opposite. That truce was based on labor renouncing any intrusion in management; I'm saying that management has proved itself hopelessly foolish (even from the POV of the stockholders <http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=my&s=GM&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=&c=%5EGSPC> and the workers need to step in.

I don't get your position. The workers should just stand back and let GM & F go under, or outsource them out of jobs? It simply will not to to make militant noises with no strategy other than a Gompersian "more!" Or Gompersism for an age of diminished expectations: "the same!"

Doug