[lbo-talk] Re: Re: P-9 and meatpacking deunionization (was: The raids

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 10:31:06 PST 2006

You know, I'd like to soberly point out how much of the expert left advice to labor unions here is, as doug said, contentless militant posturing, divorced from any real industrial strategy or tactical plan for real autoworkers in a real union to achieve real goals. But I can't bring myself to stop laughing that this insightful radical understanding of the problems of auto workers is summed up in a .... MORRISSEY QUOTE?!?!

That is just so fucking hilarious. Leave it to the left to ring the bell of empty militancy while projecting how out of touch they are with normal actually-existing working people in the most comical of ways.

In another message, Carrol points out that while he doesn't know the solution, he knows what it -looks like-... like Conrad Burns' claim that Bush has a plan to get us out of Iraq, but is keeping it 'secret'..... perhaps Carrol can offer an efficacious quote from Milton or Shakespeare to give us some hints toward his secret strategy for fixing a simple little global repositioning of industral production by electing a uaw leadership that's more in touch with the desires of the miniscule american left.

Also, the working class didn't break the postwar consensus 'truce', fucking capital rolled the whole thing back themselves, which wasn't ever even a truce anyway if you've ever been fucking laid off or hurt on the job or got bumped to nights and didn't see your kids for a year or lost your job and your house because you never got the lefto's memo that the US working class is a spoiled labor aristocracy and they know more about standing in soldiarity with the oppressed than a dumb mill hunk like you.

But the truce sucked anyway, right? Yeah, pal, ever been to Youngstown or Detroit? Newark or Camden? My family all left inner northeast philly in a decade because it went from being a stable inner-ring type blue collar place to a straight up hell on earth. Besides the individual quotidian misery created in tens of millions of lives because of the collapse of working-class political and economic power since that 'sucky truce', I wonder if those dismissing such collaborationist reformism might take a gander for fun at a picture of your average industrial cities' neighborhoods and downtowns in 1956 as opposed to 2006. Large chunks of a (very limited and compromised and certainly not utopian) working persons' promised land have turned into a literal hell on earth with wild dogs, rampant violence, collapsing buildings, widespread drug addiction and structural poverty. I know Woj walks by some of this in Baltimore, maybe he can tell us how much better the US working class is off now that that sucky truce is broken and the largest industry in bodymore isn't steel but is retailing to the estimated 20% of the city that is addicted to hard drugs.