[lbo-talk] Re: Re: P-9 and meatpacking deunionization (was: The raids

Eric rayrena at realtime.net
Thu Dec 21 09:22:18 PST 2006

>You know, I'd like to soberly point out how much of the expert left
>advice to labor unions here is, as doug said, contentless militant
>posturing, divorced from any real industrial strategy or tactical
>plan for real autoworkers in a real union to achieve real goals.
>But I can't bring myself to stop laughing that this insightful
>radical understanding of the problems of auto workers is summed up
>in a .... MORRISSEY QUOTE?!?!

What's wrong with Morrissey? He had more insight about Thatcherism/Reaganism than a million and one folk singers. If he held a union card would I be able to quote him? Can I only quote Bruce S. or Pete Seeger?

>That is just so fucking hilarious. Leave it to the left to ring the
>bell of empty militancy while projecting how out of touch they are
>with normal actually-existing working people in the most comical of
>ways.

I like that you assume that "the left" and "actually existing working people" are two different, and presumably opposed, groups of people. The working class isn't left, and the left isn't working class.

>Also, the working class didn't break the postwar consensus 'truce',

Sure it did, by demanding equal civil rights and an end to racism, by opposing the Vietnam war, by fighting for the right to be queer, by refusing to be subjected by men, by smoking pot and not showing up for work, among other things. Capital's "rolling back" was a defensive move in response to these forms of working-class militancy, not an offensive preemptive attack.

>because you never got the lefto's memo that the US working class
>is a spoiled labor aristocracy and they know more about standing in
>soldiarity with the oppressed than a dumb mill hunk like you.

I never said anything like that.