[lbo-talk] Re:P-9 and meatpacking deunionization (was: The

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 15:50:36 PST 2006

Chuck, what the hell are you talking about?

I've worked with and for illegal aliens. You think I'm happy that people get deported?

But you take the Mexican framing crews that are still all over my neighborhood in Seattle right now. I can literally hear their hammers, radios, and the crew chief calling out measurements. You think I'm gonna call INS on them? No, of course not. But I'm damned sure going to tell them not to marry their sweethearts here in Washington state - because any document that proves they were here without papers screws their chances of getting citizenship. I'm damned sure going to tell them to make sure they keep their money in Mexican bank accounts - so if they get deported they don't lose everything. I'm gonna tell them maybe buying a nice car here isn't a great idea.

I'm not going to tell them "oh yeah, my Marxist ideals say you're a citizen of the world so just ignore American immigration law." That's just irresponsible.

There's a HUGE difference between fighting to change the law and irresponsibly pretending that it doesn't exist.

boddi