[lbo-talk] Video documentary on Mexico's legitimate president

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 16:01:34 PST 2006

The link below is to a video documentary by Víctor Hernández from the Sendero del Peje blog (http://senderodelpeje.blogspot.com/). It shows the gigantic groundswell of popular energy the movement in support of López Obrador generated. Among other things I found remarkable, the celebration of Independence Day (September 16, 2006) in Mexico City was full of symbolism.

Eugenia León's song by the middle of the documentary is incredibly moving as it touches the most sensitive buttons in the national sentiments of Mexicans. If I caught the lyrics correctly, it links the current situation to the U.S. invasion in the 1840s (by which the U.S. chopped off and swallowed one half of Mexico), the French invasion of Mexico in 1864, the imposition of Maximilian of Habsburg as emperor of Mexico, and the relentless resistance by president Benito Juárez, the first Indigenous president in Latin America.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8136401529506488350