[lbo-talk] Marijuana becomes top cash crop in US

tfast tfast at yorku.ca
Wed Dec 20 18:44:04 PST 2006

Sounds about right (so I am told). 1-6 pound puchases are typically in the 100-140 cdn range. Street level prices even in BC, the double A grade capital of Capital, is typically 40-60 a quarter and in Toronto the ubiquitous street price is 70-80 an eigth (so I am told). Now if you are buying by the pallet load then the price is rather less. But don't discount all that value added involved in the transport and distribution to the final consumer.

So yah if the article was suggesting that it was the wholsale value then it was a bogus but if it was suggesting that it was the street value then it was a rather conservative figure. Nonetheless the case should be made to legalize the stuff and tax it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/print/0,,329666124-103681,00.html

['The study shows that 10,000 tonnes of marijuana worth $35.8bn

(£18.4bn) is grown each year; the street value would be even higher'.

Since marijuana is almost completely illegal (except in very limited

circumstances), what other (monetary) value is there, apart from the

'street value'.]

Official estimates of drug value are often ridiculously high. Perhaps

it sells more papers, helps justify the expense of the War or Drugs,

or the long sentences sometimes handed out.

10,000 tonnes for $35.8 billion? $3.58 million a tonne? Roughly

$3.58 thousand a kilo? $3.58 a gram, roughly $100 an ounce.

Sounds to me like they are already using a retail price here. I

wonder if they are doing that for crops they compare to.

--

Sandy Harris

Quanzhou, Fujian, China