[lbo-talk] How to Deconstruct Almost Anything

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 07:07:01 PST 2006

On 12/21/06, Andy F <andy274 at gmail.com> wrote:
> My apologies if this amounts to thread-flogging, but I'd be curious
> what others thought of this attempt by a software engineer to make
> sense of deconstruction with comments on clarity. There's a
> Sokalesque prank in the beginning, but then it turns into a good faith
> effort (though he suggests deconstructing the article as a beginner's
> exercise).
>
> <http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/~pvr/decon.html>

JM: I have read this before and it is worth taking time to read.

Notice that the author has a good feel for the institutional situation, both of his own work, and of the work of others.

He writes of the "market"-oriented reasons why he is forced to explain the "technics" of his lexicon, in words that can be understood by people outside his profession. And in a passage not quoted he writes why this is not true of all professions. In other words he tries to understand the institutional reasons why it is not true of people using deconstruction.

Quote: [...]

Contrast this situation with that of academia. Professors of Literature or History or Cultural Studies in their professional life find themselves communicating principally with other professors of Literature or History or Cultural Studies. They also, of course, communicate with students, but students don't really count. Graduate students are studying to be professors themselves and so are already part of the in-crowd. Undergraduate students rarely get a chance to close the feedback loop, especially at the so called "better schools" (I once spoke with a Harvard professor who told me that it is quite easy to get a Harvard undergraduate degree without ever once encountering a tenured member of the faculty inside a classroom; I don't know if this is actually true but it's a delightful piece of slander regardless). They publish in peer reviewed journals, which are not only edited by their peers but published for and mainly read by their peers (if they are read at all). Decisions about their career advancement, tenure, promotion, and so on are made by committees of their fellows. They are supervised by deans and other academic officials who themselves used to be professors of Literature or History or Cultural Studies. They rarely have any reason to talk to anybody but themselves -- occasionally a Professor of Literature will collaborate with a Professor of History, but in academic circles this sort of interdisciplinary work is still considered sufficiently daring and risquÝ as to be newsworthy.

What you have is rather like birds on the Galapagos islands -- an isolated population with unique selective pressures resulting in evolutionary divergence from the mainland population. There's no reason you should be able to understand what these academics are saying because, for several generations, comprehensibility to outsiders has not been one of the selective criteria to which they've been subjected. What's more, it's not particularly important that they even be terribly comprehensible to each other, since the quality of academic work, particularly in the humanities, is judged primarily on the basis of politics and cleverness. In fact, one of the beliefs that seems to be characteristic of the postmodernist mind set is the idea that politics and cleverness are the basis for all judgments about quality or truth, regardless of the subject matter or who is making the judgment. A work need not be right, clear, original, or connected to anything outside the group. Indeed, it looks to me like the vast bulk of literary criticism that is published has other works of literary criticism as its principal subject, with the occasional reference to the odd work of actual literature tossed in for flavoring from time to time.

[...]

JM: He is also quite fair in his "simplification of deconstruction.

Quote: [...]

Deconstruction, in particular, is a fairly formulaic process that hardly merits the commotion that it has generated. However, like hack writers or television producers, academics will use a formula if it does the job and they are not held to any higher standard (though perhaps Derrida can legitimately claim some credit for originality in inventing the formula in the first place). Just to clear up the mystery, here is the formula, step-by-step:

Step 1 -- Select a work to be deconstructed. This a called a "text" and is generally a piece of text, though it need not be. It is very much within the lit crit mainstream to take something which is not text and call it a text. In fact, this can be a very useful thing to do, since it leaves the critic with broad discretion to define what it means to "read" it and thus a great deal of flexibility in interpretation. It also allows the literary critic to extend his reach beyond mere literature. However, the choice of text is actually one of the less important decisions you will need to make, since points are awarded on the basis of style and wit rather than substance, although more challenging works are valued for their greater potential for exercising cleverness. Thus you want to pick your text with an eye to the opportunities it will give you to be clever and convoluted, rather than whether the text has anything important to say or there is anything important to say about it. Generally speaking, obscure works are better than well known ones, though an acceptable alternative is to choose a text from the popular mass media, such as a Madonna video or the latest Danielle Steele novel. The text can be of any length, from the complete works of Louis L'Amour to a single sentence. For example, let's deconstruct the phrase, "John F. Kennedy was not a homosexual."

Step 2 -- Decide what the text says. This can be whatever you want, although of course in the case of a text which actually consists of text it is easier if you pick something that it really does say. This is called "reading". I will read our example phrase as saying that John F. Kennedy was not a homosexual.

Step 3 -- Identify within the reading a distinction of some sort. This can be either something which is described or referred to by the text directly or it can be inferred from the presumed cultural context of a hypothetical reader. It is a convention of the genre to choose a duality, such as man/woman, good/evil, earth/sky, chocolate/vanilla, etc. In the case of our example, the obvious duality to pick is homosexual/heterosexual, though a really clever person might be able to find something else.

Step 4 -- Convert your chosen distinction into a "hierarchical opposition" by asserting that the text claims or presumes a particular primacy, superiority, privilege or importance to one side or the other of the distinction. Since it's pretty much arbitrary, you don't have to give a justification for this assertion unless you feel like it. Programmers and computer scientists may find the concept of a hierarchy consisting of only two elements to be a bit odd, but this appears to be an established tradition in literary criticism. Continuing our example, we can claim homophobia on the part of the society in which this sentence was uttered and therefor assert that it presumes superiority of heterosexuality over homosexuality.

Step 5 -- Derive another reading of the text, one in which it is interpreted as referring to itself. In particular, find a way to read it as a statement which contradicts or undermines either the original reading or the ordering of the hierarchical opposition (which amounts to the same thing). This is really the tricky part and is the key to the whole exercise. Pulling this off successfully may require a variety of techniques, though you get more style points for some techniques than for others. Fortunately, you have a wide range of intellectual tools at your disposal, which the rules allow you to use in literary criticism even though they would be frowned upon in engineering or the sciences. These include appeals to authority (you can even cite obscure authorities that nobody has heard of), reasoning from etymology, reasoning from puns, and a variety of word other games. You are allowed to use the word "problematic" as a noun. You are also allowed to pretend that the works of Freud present a correct model of human psychology and the works of Marx present a correct model of sociology and economics (it's not clear to me whether practitioners in the field actually believe Freud and Marx or if it's just a convention of the genre). You get maximum style points for being French. Since most of us aren't French, we don't qualify for this one, but we can still score almost as much by writing in French or citing French sources. However, it is difficult for even the most intense and unprincipled American academician writing in French to match the zen obliqueness of a native French literary critic. Least credit is given for a clear, rational argument which makes its case directly, though of course that is what I will do with our example since, being gainfully employed, I don't have to worry about graduation or tenure.

[...]

JM: Note how he "gets" the idea about how everything is turned into a "text." Those of us who love to read about movies and encounter a "reading" of a film as a text can be driven quite out of our wits by this assumption. I don't know about everyone else, but I actually watch and listen to movies. I don't "read" a movie. "Reading" a movie might be taken as an interesting metaphor but nothing more. It might be a stage of an analysis of a movie. But there is no indication in most of the articles I have read that the writers of these articles mean to use the idea of "reading" a movie as a metaphor or a stage of analysis.

I have been told by advocates of deconstruction, (a well known professor at Yale and a leading law professor who uses deconstruction), that all that we have are texts and that there is nothing but texts. I have also been told that people who don't understand that all that we have are "texts" cannot ever understand deconstruction. In other words I have been told that because I don't comprehend with this point-of-view I cannot in principle understand deconstruction. Further more both of these people were both sympathetic with the "left" and in another day I would have called "radicals" based on their basic political beliefs.

My conclusion at the time was that the people who write and act in this way, believe that excluding most people from their project of "reading" "texts" (i.e. all "reality") was legitimate, no matter what political sympathies they maintain. Deconstruction is not meant to be explained or understood to those who are not the "select".

For me this is a basis for judgment. I have tried to explain an _ethics of rhetoric_ where one can understand the difference _in principle_ of the technical lexicon of a Galileo or a Darwin or a Marx. which can potentially lead to understanding by a wide public, and the (in my opinion, pseudo) technical lexicon of many philosophers, lit crits, economists, sociologists, etc. which is meant to be understood only by a select intellectual priesthood. The former creates (what Miles and others would call) a "language community" that may be temporarily exclusive, but is potentially inclusive. The latter creates a "language community" that is exclusive for the sake of elitism.

Jerry Monaco