[lbo-talk] How to Deconstruct Almost Anything

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 08:27:07 PST 2006

On 12/21/06, bitch <bitch at pulpculture.org> wrote:
> At 08:33 AM 12/21/2006, Andy F wrote:
> ><http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/~pvr/decon.html>
>

> Out of curiosity, why should you want to take someone's word for it when he
> says that deconstruction involves looking at a sentence and making up what
> it means? He did not provide an example of someone doing this. Doesn't it
> raise a red flag?

I'm not taking his word for it, which is part of why I posted it.

If "Decide what the text says. This can be whatever you want..." were central to his point, I doubt he would describe the process as anything but bullshit. It sounds more like a snarky dig along the lines of "getting points for being French" -- more of a comment on the practice.

Nor does he completely dismiss the notion that geeks can be bad communicators.

Do you think that his basic description, or the beginner's example that he used are off?

[...] Buried in the muck, however, are a set of important and interesting ideas: that in reading a work it is illuminating to consider the contrast between what is said and what is not said, between what is explicit and what is assumed, and that popular notions of truth and value depend to a disturbingly high degree on the reader's credulity and willingness to accept the text's own claims as to its validity. [...]

-- Andy