[lbo-talk] How to Deconstruct Almost Anything

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 09:37:56 PST 2006

> On Dec 21, 2006, at 11:18 AM, Jerry Monaco wrote:
>
> > Well yes, all is text. Left unsaid is what I have been told often:
> > All those who don't understand that all is text, are simply benighted.
>
> It's really interesting how so many people can't just shrug, maybe
> giggle lightly, and move on; instead, they get all huffy & puffy
> about something they want to dismiss as trivial or ludicrous. Why is
> that? All that slipperiness of meaning make you a little nervous?
>
> Doug

Good point. It must be why I love Plato and Augustine and Blake and Wordsworth and Borges and Nabokov. Slippery meaning makes me nervous and I love to be nervous. Nervousness helps me to brood. Brooding makes me sexy. (Cf. "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" for numerous examples.)

On the substantive question, I refer you to my reply to bitch in the parallel thread as a partial answer.

But strange, I have had no similar comments about long threads discussing the auteur theory. And if we ever have a long thread on chess discussing the labyrinths of the Sicilian Defense, Najdorf, Poisoned Pawn variation, I am sure the same conclusion about my nervousness over the seven types of slimy ambiguity can also follow. Perhaps, Doug, you have an Oedipal investment in Lacan or Derrida?

Jerry.

I have to get off the internet for now. My time is up.