[lbo-talk] P-9 and meatpacking deunionization (was: The raids against immigrant workers)

John Costello joxn.costello at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 09:39:32 PST 2006

On 12/21/06, Chuck <chuck at mutualaid.org> wrote:
> boddi satva wrote:
>
> > The Left wants to preserve this fuzzy, silly notion about the
> > "undocumented". Too many of us on the left lie to ourselves that the
> > situation of having a legal underclass is acceptable, because we don't
> > want to deal with the sadness and difficulty of the situation.
> >
> > I've worked with and known far too many illegals to think that way.
> > When illegals allow themselves to pretend that they are just like
> > citizens, they set themselves up for heartbreak. You have to deal
> > rationally with the system that is.
>
> I'm still amazed at how the immigration issue manages to bring out the
> ugly, racist hypocritical side of some progressives and liberals. I've
> heard some shocking anti-immigrant stuff come out of liberal mouths who
> normally sound quite rational.
>
> I'm also shocked that a regular list member is spouting off
> anti-immigrant bullshit while the rest of the list sits on its
> collective hands.

I'm very confused, because I don't think that what boddi is saying is anti-immigrant at all. I think it would help me a lot, Chuck, if you would write out what you think the pro-immigrant side of this discussion would have to be.

-- John S Costello joxn.costello at gmail.com "As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be most aware of change in the air--however slight--lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness." -- Justice William O. Douglas