[lbo-talk] re: Paradox

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 21 21:08:56 PST 2006

For whom? Right now, I needn't tell you that undocumented aliens are denied virtually every protection afforded to citizens by law, exploited viciously, and generally treated like dirt. In addition, this undercuts both the economic situation of lower-paid citizen employees and the civil liberties of everyone, since the narrow wedge of state repression (e.g., denial of habeas rights) ios deployed against aliens first.

Maybe you are concerned with right wing racist backlash. We got that already. If some of the appeal of the backlash isn't just racist but economic, then affording everyone willing to work wherever the full protections offered citizens (minimum wage, driver's licenses, union organizing righst, etc.) will limit the race to the bottom.

Insofar as we are just dealing with plain old racism -- "We don't want them Azheris, wetbacks, Turks, etc. around here," I don't see why we should tolerate that instead of squashing it. It's the oldest excuse in the world to argue against antidiscrimination laws because "forcing" people to mix will inflame prejudice. Fuck that. It's wrong morally and it's wrong factually. Integration, other things being equal, promotes tolerance. And to the extent taht it doesn't, bigotry should be prohibited, not sanctioned.