[lbo-talk] Hillis Miller on de Man, Marx, & the Internet

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 22 08:31:30 PST 2006

bitch wrote:

> I don't know, but maybe two illustrations of how
> specific thinkers have got Marx wrong would be
> great.

Just two? Thanks for letting me off so lightly.

1) Previously mentioned, the tendency to view the value-form analysis at the beginning of capital as an account of the historical stages of capitalist development (Mandel is rather egregious here, see his Marxist Economic Theory, Vol. 1)

2) A tendency to view Marx's value theory as equivalent to Ricardo's "labor theory of value," a sort of substantialist value theory that assumes that the individual commodities possess a corporeal "value." Related to this, a tendency to interpret Marx's value theory as a theory of exploitation (pretty much the entire classical worker's movement)