[lbo-talk] Hillis Miller on de Man, Marx, & the Internet

bitch bitch at pulpculture.org
Fri Dec 22 09:01:38 PST 2006

At 11:31 AM 12/22/2006, Angelus Novus wrote:

>bitch wrote:
>
> > I don't know, but maybe two illustrations of how
> > specific thinkers have got Marx wrong would be
> > great.
>
>Just two? Thanks for letting me off so lightly.
>
>1) Previously mentioned, the tendency to view the
>value-form analysis at the beginning of capital as an
>account of the historical stages of capitalist
>development (Mandel is rather egregious here, see his
>Marxist Economic Theory, Vol. 1)
>
>2) A tendency to view Marx's value theory as
>equivalent to Ricardo's "labor theory of value," a
>sort of substantialist value theory that assumes that
>the individual commodities possess a corporeal
>"value." Related to this, a tendency to interpret
>Marx's value theory as a theory of exploitation
>(pretty much the entire classical worker's movement)

ok. but I said two because I was hoping you'd illustrate -- not list -- the examples. Which, to me, means coming up with, you know, the actual words of marx or something and then contrast with the way a particular writer got it wrong by, you know, drawing on their actual words.

yes, i know, it's some work. but if you think it's interesting enough to talk about here and it's important, then I would love to read it. (btw, as for 2, that has frequently been raised here if I'm not mistaken, no? e.g., I thought it was standard material in most discussion of marx)

and what the hell with the blow job thing. y'all are not keeping my spirits up and I'm very disappointed. get to work!

"You know how it is, come for the animal porn, stay for the cultural analysis." -- Michael Berube

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org