[lbo-talk] How to Deconstruct Almost Anything

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Fri Dec 22 13:51:49 PST 2006

Miles Jackson

-Clip-

And this is where Jerry's argument fails: he declares that X is "pointless" based on his own perspective, and then does not consider the possibility that X could have some positive social effects that he didn't anticipate. --Who knows what positive social effects the work of Foucault or Zizek or Derrida could have in our society? Jerry will no doubt say "none", but that's not an observation based on evidence; that's an assumption based on an a priori assessment of a particular form of writing

^^^ CB: I appreciate Miles' summing up to this point of the discussion.

One of my main questions about postmodernism/poststructuralism has always been what social and political practice has it brought about ? What social and political practices _has_ it brought about so far ?