[lbo-talk] Re: Fidel

Brian Charles Dauth magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Sat Dec 23 00:26:38 PST 2006

> I do wish you wouldn't consistently label everything a straight
person does or any group of straight people as the work of "hets" as if all heterosexuals were a monolithic group with a single mindset concerning queers.

That is why I used the term heteronormativity. It was that state of mind that led Castro to try either to eliminate or to re-train the queers of Cuba (See Arenas and Almendros for the details). I think it sprang more from his brain than his loins.

To this day my friends tell me gay gatherings are raided, a gay person cannot join the Communist Party, and Cuba has consistently refrained from endording the Brazilian Resolution since its introduction in 2003.

> I won't defend everything Castro did but I will defend a great deal of

what he did and the reasons behind them.

He did some good things. He also did some horrendous things. They should not be forgotten in my opinion. Others may think differently.

Brian