[lbo-talk] How to Deconstruct Almost Anything

bitch bitch at pulpculture.org
Sat Dec 23 11:00:21 PST 2006

At 12:48 PM 12/23/2006, Miles Jackson wrote:
>Charles Brown wrote:
>
>>One of my main questions about postmodernism/poststructuralism has always
>>been what social and political practice has it brought about ? What social
>>and political practices _has_ it brought about so far ?
>
>In short: not much. Some of the intersex activists draw on the gender
>performativity stuff; Bitch may be able to provide some other
>examples. Foucault and Zizek are definitely not inciting the masses
>right now to challenge the ruling class (but to be fair, that's true of
>Marx too, so they're in good company).
>
>Miles

I think it's kind of a silly question. It assumes that radical knowledge have somehow influenced powerful social institutions on a regular basis, for one.

But more importantly, it's backward. The question is, how did the theory emerge from social practices -- not a narrowly defined political practices as activisists are wont to embrace -- but the broader meaning of Praxis in Marx's work -- outlined in the work of Gavin Kitching.

I'd elaborate, but it's like arguing with stop signs. waste of my time and i find it insulting given how important much of this has been to women of color and sexual minorities. same old leftist sexism, 150% more sneerage.