[lbo-talk] The NY Times Xmas Wish: Ask Santa For More Troops

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Dec 24 15:08:58 PST 2006

Cseniornyc at aol.com wrote:

> The New York Times continues its inexorable shift to the right
> and chooses Xmas eve to express its enthusiastic support for the
> Bush/Cheney's demands for larger troops. It claims that: "Larger
> ground forces are an absolute necessity for the sort of battles
> America is likely to fight during the coming decades" But it doesn't
> explain why the logical necessity of the statement and whether it is
> the rest of world (selectively) that will be the target of this wars
> from America. It looks that a new military draft looms large
> In supporting the war corporate interests and the pathologically
> belligerent sectors of American society the NYT has become of voice of
> darkness and a messenger of death.
> Merry Christmas.
> Cristobal

Too little, too late. Given the results of the last election, I don't quite see a groundswell for this.

Besides, I don't know what they're smoking in their prattle about "military reality." The military reality is that their fighting guerilla forces and growing the army just means getting more people killed. That's all.

'Course, if the empire wishes to destroy itself, it could not choose a better or faster means than to grow its military engagements.

Joanna