[lbo-talk] Re: Fidel

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 11:05:24 PST 2006

Brian,

We will make no progress here.

I refer to my reply to Justin for the rest. Israeli citizens who talk about Palestinian suppression of homosexuals in the West Bank are in the same position that we are in relation to Cuba. If they are not doing everything they can to identify themselves with the Palestinians and working everyday in solidarity with the Palestinians, and doing everything they can to stop Israeli terrorism against the Palestinians, and if then, and only then, they offer their critricism to Palestinians, and not to the imperial nation, then and only then, they might have some warrant to offer their criticism.

South African whites under the Apartheid regime who, without identifying themselves with and working in solidarity with Black South Africans on a constant and everyday basis, are in the same position that we are in relation to Cuba. If they had criticized the ANC's discrimination against homosexuals, doing so among the dominant group, while staying in their all white compounds I would say that this is mere self-satisfaction. It is just back handed help for the South African Apartheid regime no matter how anti-homosexual the South African regime also was.

Finally my, response to you in re to Reagan's use of Cuba's AIDs policy was because you said that the_ kind_ of criticism you offer was never used in the context of U.S. aggression against Cuba. Since it clearly has been (and more than once), and most likely will be in the future, you are simply factually wrong about the uses your kinds of criticism have been put by U.S. aggressors.

Unless we can find some common ground here I propose that we let our positions stand. If you can find some common ground, because I am having trouble finding it myself, then we can move on from there.

That is as good as I can do.

Jerry