[lbo-talk] Fidel

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Dec 28 14:45:49 PST 2006

Joanna writes:

> I am taken aback by the reaction on this list that the only
> motive for quarantine would be gay bashing/oppression.

Isn't the real problem that people don't know they have it?

How can you quarantine someone who doesn't know?

---

BTW, you probably think it might be okay to quarantine people who have cholera "on the next block" because that's an extreme measure that might have helped save some lives a few hundred years ago, but if we had a cholera outbreak in, say, New York City today, you would have no need for a quarantine: it's almost never transmitted through casual human contact, and it's easily treatable -- most cases come under control with rehydration: yes it's true, Gatorade will save your life.

---

Maybe this is the usual kind of Internet thread: no one remembers what the issue was. Here's a quickie from the NY Times from the time period ...

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=9A0DE7DA1039F932A2575AC0A960948260