[lbo-talk] Fidel

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Sat Dec 30 17:45:18 PST 2006

I don't know if that's the only motive, but it does seem to be an active influence. Quarantining people with AIDS would mean jailing lots of people who'd done absolutely nothing wrong but get sick. Most people with AIDS or HIV don't run around infecting other people. It would be enormously expensive - there are over a million Americans who are HIV+. The threat of quarantine would mean that no one would get tested or seek treatment, which would only make things worse. It's not like you ca catch AIDS from a sneeze, either.

Doug

^^^^^ CB; However , Cuba's quarantine method has resulted in an order of magnitude lower AIDS/HIV rates in Cuba compared to the U.S.

You and Brian ignore that this probably means that Cuba saved many gay Cuban men's lives as compared with the U.S. What say you about this ?

U.S. "freedom" = death for many,many gay men. Cuban quarantine = life for many Cuban gay men.

When AIDS first came out, how could it be known with such certainty that it could not be transmitted casually ? If the scientists couldn't cure it , how could they be certain about limits for transmission ? If I were the Cubans, I wouldn't necessarily trust the U.S. first claims to know it couldn't be transmitted in other ways than sex , intravenous blood. From the Cuban standpoint , the U.S. might be using it as a biological weapon.