[lbo-talk] Livestock?s Long Shadow

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sun Dec 31 22:03:20 PST 2006

Yoshie posted:

<http://www.fao.org/newsroom/en/news/2006/1000448/index.html> Livestock a major threat to environment Remedies urgently needed 29 November 2006, Rome - Which causes more greenhouse gas emissions, rearing cattle or driving cars?

Surprise!

According to a new report published by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, the livestock sector generates more greenhouse gas emissions as measured in CO2 equivalent – 18 percent – than transport. It is also a major source of land and water degradation.... ***************************

One BIG reason why in these times, I'm a vegetarian and let others know that. Short of a population decrease of five billion, we've got to radically change our ways of living, if we want to avoid dropping into barbarian mode.

Best, Mike B)

Watch the communist manifestoon! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1oGIffyVVk