[lbo-talk] Thanks to the Frey program, I'm going to rich famous and beloved (was, More Dolan on Frey)

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 1 10:19:46 PST 2006

Chris Doss posted:

Whose Fault Is Frey?

By John Dolan, AlterNet. Posted January 17, 2006.

<snip>

Frey's readers were right to think it's a matter of true/false, not "fiction." Their mistake was the same one Bush's voters made in 2000 and 2004: In their Calvinist obsession with public affirmation of the congregation's values, they welcome any con man who talks their language.

And like Bush, the stranger is usually there to rob them. Frey robbed them of their trust and adoration. But that's what happens when you believe stuff you know is crap.

[...]

========

Dolan has long been one of my favorite eXile writers because of his Chandler-esque prose and diamond hard common sense.

But I have to say the way he's dissected this Frey nonsense - ruthlessly cutting through layers and layers of filth, the accumulated beliefs of this age, perhaps the stupidest of human eras (not to get all Woj-tastic on my LBO peeps but the widespread love of delusion is tiring) - has been exceptionally impressive.

After a proper disappearance interval, Frey will undoubtedly re-emerge to explain his "addiction to fame" (a real addiction, unlike his phantom love of glue and petrol) thus turning apparent defeat into yet another payday.

And as Dolan brilliantly points out, audience participation will make it all possible.

On the plus side, I think I have all the information I need to complete that market targeted memoir writing program I've been dreaming of. Perhaps it could be called The Frey Matrix.

In my case, being deliciously brown (and, therefore, simultaneously scary "other" and compellingly sexy/dangerous/cool to countless fantasy plagued Americans) I'd have to use a template based upon the following ideas:

\start

* fatherless

* gang member

* drug seller/addicted

* gun toting

finds

* church

and a

* halfway house

which brings

* redemption

leading to being, after hard work and a lucky break from a nice White guy

* real estate tycoon married to Gabrielle union

It practically writes itself.

.d.

---------

http://monroelab.net/blog/

Graham: Well yes, it's true, you are much smarter than me but I still have an advantage.

Lecktor: Oh? What's that?

Graham: Unlike you, I'm not insane.