[lbo-talk] Thanks to the Frey program, I'm going to rich famous and beloved (was, More Dolan on Frey)

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 11:58:54 PST 2006

On 2/1/06, Mark Bennett <mab at straussandasher.com> wrote:

> I realize that Frey's masterworks are not typical LBOster reading
> material, but has anyone read either of these "memoirs"? If so, are
> they really as bad as they sound? Of course, "no one ever went broke
> underestimating the intelligence of the American public," but as AMLP
> and MFL have been described, they sound awful beyond words. A girlfriend
> named "Lily" who hangs herself? A clarinet playing African-American
> judge named Miles? Please.

No, but it's not too hard to imagine. Jaw-dropping schlock with insipid chicken soup lessons has a feel to it and inspires plenty of irate defensiveness to criticism in its fans -- see the Amazon reviews of _Mutant Message Down Under_ and _What the Bleep do We Know?_, and compare to those emails to Dolan. Wide polarization between bemused critical thinking and just *believing,* you negative Nellie!

Mutant Message: _____________

Fact or Fiction, Beside the Point!, June 19, 2005 Reviewer: Jackie CC (USA) - See all my reviews Ms. Morgan's book was short, but powerful. The controversy surrounding it focuses on wheather the incidents described within were true or not, and whether Ms. Morgan described the Aboriginal culture correctly or not. Sadly, people who belittle this book on either of these points it utterly and completely missing the point! This focus on wheather the book is fact or fiction also draws teh focus away from the important message of the book. Ms. Morgan could have witten a Sci-Fi book taking place on another planet, included the same message, and it would have been equally as important! Books such as Daniel Quinn's "Ishmael" or anything by Don Miguel Ruiz, and countless other books, contain the same message--having humanity wake up to the fact that in our present form we're killing the world around us as we loose our spiritual connection to it. "Mutant Message Down Under" can be true or false, and i could care less. Ms. Morgan's message within is the only pertinent aspect of it, and she puts it accross simply and powerfully. If this books gets even one person thinking, then it was worth the publication.

Was this review helpful to you? YesNo (Report this) _________________

What the Bleep: __________________

Some People Just Don't Get It, January 14, 2006 Reviewer: Teresa B. Dassing "Teri Karma" (Palm Harbor, FL) - See all my reviews (REAL NAME) Those who would dismiss this film as propaganda or who are religious zealots will not get the true meaning of this film. Unfortunately, after reading the single star posts, these persons already are set in their ways and may not want to take a chance on being a better and happier person for themselves and others on this earth. Yes, there are some strong arguments in this film about what religion has done to the human race and how humans have corrupted the nature of what Jesus was talking about. However, how you perceive happiness and awareness of what is going on around you starts with one person--you. It is possible to change how you think to a more positive light. I am living proof. This film just confirms this fact and does so in a way that makes it fun and humorous. Existential? Maybe. Truthful? Yes. This film makes you open your eyes to the possibilities of happiness that exist within us all. Be careful, it could be catching...and wouldn't that be a wonderful way to really practice the golden rule.

Was this review helpful to you? YesNo (Report this) ____________________________

-- Andy