[lbo-talk] Thanks to the Frey program, I'm going to rich famous and beloved (was, More Dolan on Frey)

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Wed Feb 1 11:03:12 PST 2006

Dwayne Monroe

Dolan has long been one of my favorite eXile writers because of his Chandler-esque prose and diamond hard common sense.

But I have to say the way he's dissected this Frey nonsense - ruthlessly cutting through layers and layers of filth, the accumulated beliefs of this age, perhaps the stupidest of human eras (not to get all Woj-tastic on my LBO peeps but the widespread love of delusion is tiring) - has been exceptionally impressive.

I'll say. The pieces that Chris has posted from Dolan on the Frey fiasco have been first-rate.

I realize that Frey's masterworks are not typical LBOster reading material, but has anyone read either of these "memoirs"? If so, are they really as bad as they sound? Of course, "no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public," but as AMLP and MFL have been described, they sound awful beyond words. A girlfriend named "Lily" who hangs herself? A clarinet playing African-American judge named Miles? Please.