[lbo-talk] [Fwd: "Shame and Toleration"]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Feb 1 18:31:24 PST 2006

Subject: "Shame and Toleration" Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 21:10:24 -0500 From: Alex Seltzer <aseltzer at VOICENET.COM> Reply-To: 18th Century Interdisciplinary Discussion <C18-L at lists.psu.edu> To: C18-L at LISTS.PSU.EDU

Gleaned from the following source, I found this incident an interesting "backstairs" counterpoint to "Pride and Prejudice:"

The Foxearth and District Local History Society 1820-1821 Bury and Norwich Post newspaper archive

May 16th 1821

Last week a disgraceful circunstance occurred at Sudbury when Henry Frost sold his wife (with the customary halter round her neck) to one Robert Whiting for 2s but the bargain being offensive to a number of females present they would have given the new bridegroom a summary chastisement had he not taken refuge in a cottage nearby but when they pursued him he was obliged to make his escape by jumping out of the chamber window.

May 30th 1821

The wife of Henry Frost mentioned some time ago as having been sold to William Whiting for 1s 6d has returned to her husband with Whiting giving the husband 2 guineas to take her back.

I wish they would make a movie based on that! (-a la "Roshomon") -and why were they not angry at the husband?

Alex Seltzer, "Phillystineadelphia"

(aseltzer at voicenet.com)