[lbo-talk] Link to Muhammed cartoons

www.leninology. blogspot.com leninology at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 2 16:07:26 PST 2006

>I also happen to believe that religion is not a sacred cow and should be
>subject to the most merciless jokes because that is perhaps the only way to
>counter-balance this form of brainwashing, as true believers are often
>immune to reason but they do respond to ridicule.

I think, as you may have gathered from other remarks of mine, that you are missing an important point. This is not about religion. Consider the way these 'jokes' operate: they reinforce racist stereotypes about Muslims - suicide bombers, limb-choppers etc. It is perceived as essential to their being. Why Mohammed himself has a head made out of a globular black bomb, naturally embossed with the logo of Islam.

I'm not criticising you for posting the link, because I need to see that stuff to judge it properly. But I beg you not to miss the way in which religion is being used as a handy surrogate for race. Nick Griffin, head of the Nazi BNP, declares that Islam is a "wicked, vicious faith" - that isn't about mockery, that's about justifying murder. It isn't about religion any more than the vilification of Jews was about religion - it's a substitute for "Paki" and much else besides.

_________________________________________________________________ Are you using the latest version of MSN Messenger? Download MSN Messenger 7.5 today! http://messenger.msn.co.uk