[lbo-talk] Link to Muhammed cartoons

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Feb 2 10:31:21 PST 2006

Doug:

> I believe in freedom of speech and all, but these cartoons
> are rather racist and stupid. And, at the bottom of the page
> cited there appears:

The reason I posted the link was that the cartoons are the source of a major international controversy, so I thought that it is a good idea to have the first hand knowledge of the object of that controversy. Personally, I do not think much of them, albeit some of them are quite good e.g. the one showing two women with cover up faces up their eyes, and the bearded guy between them with covered up eyes. I do not think that they are more offensive than what you can find on Aljazeera http://english.aljazeera.net/HomePage - some of it good, some of it not funny, some of it might be seen as offensive and racist by some. That is the nature of humor.

I also happen to believe that religion is not a sacred cow and should be subject to the most merciless jokes because that is perhaps the only way to counter-balance this form of brainwashing, as true believers are often immune to reason but they do respond to ridicule.

As to the venue on which the cartoon were posted - purely coincidental. I could not find this stuff elsewhere.

Wojtek