[lbo-talk] Oscars and Queers Who Die

Christian Gregory cgregory at triad.rr.com
Thu Feb 2 18:52:23 PST 2006

> In the film, Jack lives in Texas, and Ennis lives in Wyoming, so Jack
> presumably gets killed in Texas in the 1980s (since the film begins in
> 1964 and the affair spans two decades -- which we know because Ennis's
> daughters are already grown up, and one of them is ready to get married
> at the end of the film).

So, it's unrealistic to imagine a gay man being killed by gay-bashing in Texas in the early 1980's?

> do queers have a 67% chance of dying by gay-bashing and a 33% chance of
> dying of AIDS in the real world, as the gay-themed Oscar contenders
> represent? If that were true, being queer would be practically a death
> sentence.

So your critique of the Oscars is that it doesn't represent the actual statistical distributions of gay people by means of death? How would the world be a better place if they did? Would the films be better? Politics transformed? Seriously.

And if it's not the true distribution that the Oscars should approximate, what distribution would make you happy?--Let's see 0.5% by the flu, 12% in car accidents, 2.1% of injuries sustained at the gym, 50% of injuries sustained fighting Hollywood oppression, etc. I mean, is that the kind of thing you're interested in?

Christian