[lbo-talk] Oscars and Queers Who Die

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Feb 2 21:16:30 PST 2006

KJ wrote:

>This isn't the great art film, the kind that has one walking out in a
>daze, hugely dis-balanced, pushed to reconsider basic orientations,
>beliefs, values. It's a rare film that does that.

I'd say it falls somewhere between art and propaganda. It certainly wants to question certain American icons and idols: the freedom of the frontier, the rugged individual, the meaning of masculinity...

It's not Satyajit Ray or Eisenstein, but it's better and more courageous than, say, "Midnight Cowboy."

Joanna