[lbo-talk] Oscars and Queers Who Die

KJ kjinkhoo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 20:07:59 PST 2006

Really shouldn't say anything as I haven't seen the film -- gotta wait for the pirates!

Anyway, couple of things. It strikes me that there's been a few Chinese films or films made by Chinese film makers on gay and lesbian themes. Just saw "Saving Face" by Alice Wu, set in the Chinese enclave of Flushing, Queens. No major character dies; instead, reconciliation and acceptance. But perhaps the setting and the tensions are too "Chinese" for a general audience.

The other: is it really worthwhile to dig so deep into a film? Most of us don't revisit a film. In the cinema, we see it, and we emerge out into the world again. If it affects us, it's at the level of our sensibility and our emotions. At the basic level, wouldn't the question be whether we come away from it with sympathy or antagonism to the protagonists? If so, then at a pragmatic level, shouldn't this film be judged as to whether it creates sympathy and empathy for gay relationships, or the other way around?

I've always felt the genius of Hollywood as American propaganda machine -- it's not just that, but it seems to me it often functions as such -- is that it tweaks the emotion and sensibility such that, bottom line, one walks away seduced, no matter that at another level, one questions the actions, logic, whatever, on screen.

This isn't the great art film, the kind that has one walking out in a daze, hugely dis-balanced, pushed to reconsider basic orientations, beliefs, values. It's a rare film that does that.

kj khoo