[lbo-talk] Link to Muhammed cartoons

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 23:23:10 PST 2006

On 2/2/06, www.leninology. blogspot.com <leninology at hotmail.com> wrote:

> In the case of cartoons, I wouldn't demand a general state ban, but I
> certainly think we should support those Muslims who are now trying to
> organise international solidarity on their side because at 2% of the
> population of Denmark they aren't in a position to act on their own.

I have some sympathy for the Muslims on this one too. It's being reported that newspapers in various European countries have reprinted the cartoons in order to make a statement about freedom of speech. They have the right to do so, of course, but could you imagine them exercising that right if the cartoons were anti-semitic? You can stand up for someone else's freedom of speech without repeating the expression that (understandably) caused such offence in the first place.