[lbo-talk] Depression always precedes ice breaking (was, OK, Nathan)

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 3 12:10:15 PST 2006

Wojtek:

That is why I'm so friggin' depressed most of the time. No light at the end of the tunnel, just the receding tail lights of the train named the Democratic Party.

==================

I think this feeling of depression is built, in large part, upon a belief the current situation has a long shelf life; that, in a sense, Mr. Fukuyama was correct in 1992 when he declared the "end of history". Only instead of this representing a triumph of the best ideas (as Fukuyanma supposed) it means the great pyramid like endurance of the very worst.

There's also our quite natural (for what else do we know at this point?) fixation on established categories of political/social thought: Marxist against Capitalist, Anarchist against Statist, Secularist against Religionist and so on.

Nothing seems new under the sun; the old battles never disappear and the new ones are fought with unattractively aged arguments.

I think that shattering movement only comes during periods of unsupportable instability (there obviously being supportable kinds). My Grandfather's view of the Civil Rights movement, for example, was that it was the natural outcome of the tension between Blacks who'd done large and important things (such as, fighting, as he did, against the Nazis...even going toe to toe with the Waffen SS at one terrifying point) and the absurd strictures of Jim Crow in the US South and other forms of semi official apartheid in the North.

These strictures were crafted from the idea that Blacks were children at best and dangerous sub humans at worst who needed to be contained for the safety of Whites and the preservation of economic and genetic stability (e.g .no mixing it up).

"There was no goddamn way," my Grandfather told me a few years before he died "I was going to listen to that racist crap after bringing the devil's own fire down upon fascist bastards."

So, following this view, the post war movement flowered from the crisis created by the glaring difference between what White folk kept saying about and doing to Blacks and what these Black folk knew to actually be true about their quite capable selves.

At this point in American life, there is a small but growing fissure between popular mythologies (success via hard work and thrift, fair play at home and honorable action abroad). Dramatic movement will only come when these myths become unsupportable for the majority of people and not only the easily marginalized.

This is when the Dem/Repub puppet show will become transformed by those who've long prepared or made completely irrelevant by the concerns and new strategies of that dangerously interesting moment.

.d.

---------

http://monroelab.net/blog/

Chuck Norris doesn't actually write books, the words assemble themselves out of fear.