[lbo-talk] Depression always precedes ice breaking (was, OK, Nathan)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Feb 3 12:38:32 PST 2006

Dwayne:

> "There was no goddamn way," my Grandfather told me a few
> years before he died "I was going to listen to that racist
> crap after bringing the devil's own fire down upon fascist bastards."

Yeah. That is also what brought down colonial regimes in Africa. But...

The bastards also learned a lesson or two - they no longer rely on the population at large to carry "the devil's own fire," they hire professional mercenaries for that. So the glaring differences may indeed emerge, but this time around the folk have no longer "the devil's fire" at their fingertips - their 2nd amendment guns are merely sticks and stones vis a vis the combined fire power and organization of the US Army, the Marines, and the USAF.

I do not mean to sound to pessimistic, somehow I still belive that, as you say,

> At this point in American life, there is a small but growing
> fissure between popular mythologies (success via hard work
> and thrift, fair play at home and honorable action abroad).
> Dramatic movement will only come when these myths become
> unsupportable for the majority of people and not only the
> easily marginalized.
>
> This is when the Dem/Repub puppet show will become
> transformed by those who've long prepared or made completely
> irrelevant by the concerns and new strategies of that
> dangerously interesting moment.

It is just so fucking difficult to find any signs of it amongst the general silliness that seems to be engulfing us.

Wojtek