[lbo-talk] "Impossible Love"

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Feb 3 22:52:53 PST 2006

info at pulpculture.org wrote:

> Brokeback, on my reading of these readings, then, is a film that
> elevates the object -- queer love -- into a stand-in for the Thing,
> some Love that exists out there.
>
> And this is why it can be read as an offensive film that subsumes
> and silences queer love by insisting that there is a universal
> love, out there, but which must not and cannot be seen. It must be
> silenced and not for public display -- in the name of the thing
> that is rare, Love.

The days when you can make a movie about "impossible love" between a man and a woman and win critical acclaim are long gone. Not it has to be gay. Or King Kong and a woman. Or something like that. Maybe that's progress.

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>