[lbo-talk] "Impossible Love"

info at pulpculture.org info at pulpculture.org
Sat Feb 4 08:49:30 PST 2006

At 01:52 AM 2/4/2006, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
> info at pulpculture.org wrote:
>
>>Brokeback, on my reading of these readings, then, is a film that
>>elevates the object -- queer love -- into a stand-in for the Thing,
>>some Love that exists out there.
>>
>>And this is why it can be read as an offensive film that subsumes
>>and silences queer love by insisting that there is a universal
>>love, out there, but which must not and cannot be seen. It must be
>>silenced and not for public display -- in the name of the thing
>>that is rare, Love.
>

>The days when you can make a movie about "impossible love" between a
>man and a woman and win critical acclaim are long gone. Not it has
>to be gay. Or King Kong and a woman. Or something like that. Maybe
>that's progress.

What are the best examples from the past? I can add to my "maybe I'll rent some day list."

Also, I have a question. When your posts come through to me, they show all the tags <blockquote>, etc. I always thought it was because you'd used it on your blog, but Critical Montages doesn't have an entry on this. Is it just HTML e-mail that's getting munged once it hits pipermail?