[lbo-talk] "Ambiguities"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Feb 4 13:40:12 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> My point is that in Jaws-style ambiguity you don't see those kinds of
> cues because they want the Symbol to be as blank a screen as
> possible, for fear of offending potential customers. That's a long
> way from Wordsworth asking "what if Lucy be dead?" or even The Kinks
> singing "I'm glad I'm a man and so is Lola."

A blank symbol would be quite an achievement. How do you establish that such a difficult achievement is intended for commercial purposes rather than artistic purposes. It is not obvious to me that a shark stripped of cues is different from Lucy.

How does the shark (from the point at which all agree there _is_ a shark) differ from the body in _As I Lay Dying_?

Carrol