[lbo-talk] the shark

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Feb 4 15:45:20 PST 2006

"A direct search for the shark's ideological meaning evokes nothing but misguided questions.... In order to avoid this lure, we have to shift our perspective radically: the daily life of the common man is denominated by an inconsistent multitude of fears....and the accomplishment of Jaws consists in an act of purely formal conversion which provides a common 'container' for all these free-floating, inconsistent fears by way of anchoring them...in the figure of the shark. Consequently, the function of the fascinating presence of the shark is precisely to block any further inquiry into the social meaning...of these phenomena that arouse fear in the common man.... It does no symbolize them, since it literally annuls them by occupying itself the place of the object of fear. It is therefore 'more' than a symbol: it becomes the fearwd 'thing itself.' Yet the shark is decidedly less than a symbol, since it does not point toward the symbolized content but rather blocks access to it, renders it invisible...."

- Slavoj Zizek, Tarrying With the NEgative, p. 149