[lbo-talk] Re: freedom, double standards, etc.

martin mschiller at pobox.com
Sun Feb 5 10:04:34 PST 2006

On Feb 5, 2006, at 8:10 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> I'm all for criticizing the use to which Zionists put the
> Holocaust; I'm a big fan of Norman Finkelstein's. But questioning
> the facts of the Holocaust - even if it's just questioning details
> (4 million or 5 million?) - is streng verboten in my book.

I'm far more concerned about the climate in the US, and the possibility of pogroms and oppression and concentration developing. And without open discussion of the historical events that we need to draw on to learn to avoid mistakes of the past, we seem bound to repeat those mistakes. It makes me uncomfortable when accusations of 'denialist' and 'revisionist' arise so often in response to attempts to compare our present to our past. It's like there's a 'denialist' camp that's active about our present as well as our past.

Martin