[lbo-talk] Re: freedom, double standards, etc.

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 5 12:37:01 PST 2006

I meant it influenced _my_ perspective, not yours. Sorry, that was poorly worded.

Of course I oppose his (former) political views (he converted to the Jehovah's Witnesses, which in this case was an ideological improvement). That's not the same thing as opposing _him_ in practice. Was I supposed to make a big deal at the dinner table or something?

This is probably more personal family history than is warranted, but he idolized my grandfather, who was a believing Hitlerite until his death (despite the Nazis having sterilized his mother). The family was kind of polarized around the subject, my grandmother having given my mom a copy of The Diary of Anne Frank as a child -- I think the only books in the whole house where the Diary, the Bible, and a book of Nazi songs. It was a pretty wierd situation. Nobody knows who my greatgrandfather was, as my grandfather was the product of a rape, but according to my greataunt who is a repository of Family Lore, everybody at the time knew who he was (rape not being commonly punished in rural Germany at the time) and he later joined the SS and got killed in Poland. So where other people might see the political evil side of things first, I see a tragic family history first.