[lbo-talk] Freedom" of fascist speech is an absurdity

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Mon Feb 6 07:39:09 PST 2006

Wendy Lyon

Supporting their right to freedom of speech is not the same as supporting *them*.

^^^

CB; How is it not supporting them ? It helps them forward their aims.

>CB: It's elevating this
> specific group's freedom to speak above everybody's else's freedom to
speak, because this group is using its speech to advocate institution of a form of government that will do away with the protection of freedom of speech. Fascists, by definition, eliminate freedom of speech.

Wendy Lyon: Only if they're successful, which really isn't likely.

^^^ CB: But if you only support speech that you say will be unsuccessful, then you really aren't supporting freedom of speech. Freedom of speech is only valuable if it can succeed and achieve its goal. If the speech is always going to just remain words and not action, then , We , the People, have no interest in protecting it. We are indifferent to it. We have no interest in protecting "pure" fascist thought or speech; and we definitely have no interest in protecting fascist thought or speech that causes fascist actions.

We have no interest in protecting fascist speech if it doesn't succeed causing action. And we have no interest in protecting fascist speech if it succeeds in causing fascist actions. We definitely have no interest in protecting fascist speech if it succeeds in bringing about fascism ! We know this from the history of fascism.

So, there are two possible results; fascist speech doesn't' succeed in bringing about fascism or it does succeed in bringing about fascism. In either case, society has no interest in protecting fascist speech. Therefore, don't protect fascist speech. QED

There are ideas and forms of government that society has gone through sufficiently that we have an interest in suppressing them. We have sufficient experience with monarchy or slavery that there is no social interest I protecting their advocacy. Same with fascism , especially given the Nazis holocausts against the Jews and Soviets. It is not "freedom" of speech to protect the right to advocate Nazism , even just "pure" Nazis speech or thought. It is not promoting the value of freedom to "protect" the right to think or speak the most "unfree" ideas imaginable.

The law of free speech has a number of exceptions in the U.S. -like shouting "fire" , FALSELY, in a crowed theatre. There is no freedom of speech to do that. It is an exception. Similarly, we can make an exception to freedom of speech to advocate Nazism. The French, Germans , Israelis and Canadians, fullfledged "democracies" have such an exception to freedom of speech.