[lbo-talk] Re: "Freedom" of fascist speech is an absurdity

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Mon Feb 6 09:29:57 PST 2006

--------------------------------------- If the German left had succeeded, as it desperately tried to do, in breaking up Nazi meetings and preventing them from using "the same platform as everyone else" to gain power, would your objections still hold? Does free speech elevated to the level of a principle - "no matter how dangerous or provocative" - take precedence over what resulted, in part, from its exercise: the subsequent wholesale massacre of Jews, gypsys, homosexuals, the disabled, and political dissidents? Not for me. Of course, like everything else where abstract principles are concerned, there is a slippery slope, which is why I think all principles have to be rooted in context.