[lbo-talk] Re: "Freedom" of fascist speech is an absurdity

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Mon Feb 6 08:15:08 PST 2006

Dear List:

Charles writes:

> If one values freedom of speech so highly , it would contradict that
high evaluation to support those who seek to abolish the freedom of speech, the very thing valued so highly.

No, it would support it Charles. If I were to support the suppression of speech that argued against freedom of speech, then by my actions I would be against freedom of speech.

> It's elevating this specific group's freedom to speak above everybody's
else's freedom to speak, because this group is using its speech to advocate institution of a form of government that will do away with the protection of freedom of speech.

That makes no sense. I am not elevating their speech above anyone else's. I am merely affording them the same platform as everyone else. Because I assert that they have a right to speech does not mean that I endorse their speech or believe that what their speech advocates should be put into practice. I am merely saying that they have a right to speak no matter how silly, dangerous or provacative their speech may be.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister