[lbo-talk] Freedom" of fascist speech is an absurdity

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 10:18:02 PST 2006

JKS:>In Rwanda, the genocide was the product of years of careful preparation, including the prior purchase of hundreds of thousands of machetes and other deliberate plans by a clique in the government bent of mass murder which had to assassinate the President to carry through their scene, many previous massacres on a lower level, ethnic oppressions, and Malthusian conditions in circumstances of severe environmental degradation. The final call to "exterminate the cockroaches" would have fallen on deaf ears without some such background. ...<

also, the colonists had created the artificial Hutu/Tutsi distinction, giving the latter more privileges (the old divide and rule). And it's not as much a matter of "Malthusian conditions" as much as spiraling inequality between the two groups. That encouraged environmental degregation to get worse, as I understand it, which in turn made antagonism toward the Tutsis grow.

(If someone is an expert on Rwandan history, I am ready to be corrected.) -- Jim Devine Down with Big Brother Bush!