[lbo-talk] Freedom" of fascist speech is an absurdity

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Feb 7 11:38:19 PST 2006

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Chris Doss wrote:

> What exactly constitutes "hate speech" in European law
> anyway? (I'm sure it probably varies from country to country.)

In Germany, it's Paragraph 130 -- the law against Volksverhetzung:

There are also specific prohibitions on Nazis emblems, salutes, etc. outside of this law. If you do the Nazi salute in the subway they can arrest you just as if you exposed yourself in the US. You might think of it as an obscenity law.

Michael