[lbo-talk] How Gay Are You?

info at pulpculture.org info at pulpculture.org
Mon Feb 6 16:10:10 PST 2006

At 06:49 PM 2/6/2006, Jim Devine wrote:
>I recently did two 60-question quizzes that Simon Baron-Cohen (Sasha's
>cousin) put on the GUARDIAN web-site. If I didn't think of myself as
>having mild Asperger's syndrome, I probably wouldn't have done so
>poorly on the Empathy scale. While I was doing the quiz, it was
>impossible to not think about "what this question is testing" and to
>consciously or unconsciously answer in terms of my self-image. The
>same goes for the gay scale. Since being gay isn't as totally
>acceptable in society as it should be, a lot will end up grading
>themselves as totally hetero.
>
>(BTW, my score on B-C's Systematization test was average for males.)

I can distinctly recall this phenom as a 10 year old. We were being administered some kind of national test that asked thigs about whether you were oriented toward people or things -- and variations on that theme.

Now, frankly, I'm pretty much both. But, I knew that when it came to specific questions, I was supposed to say that I wanted to "work" with people, preferred being with people to being with things. Because I were a girl, doncha know. Girls are supposed to be all about other people and I knew enough at even that age to be wondering about that one.

"Scream-of-consciousness prose, peppered with sociological observations, political ruminations, and in-yore-face colloquial assaults."

-- Dennis Perrin, redstateson.blogspot.com

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org