[lbo-talk] Re: "Freedom" of fascist speech is an absurdity

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Tue Feb 7 10:20:07 PST 2006

Dear List:

JC writes:

> Speech is a very special category of activity because
it creates the mental conditions that automatically lead to actions. Hate speech generates heinous feelings and hate crimes.

So much for human autonomy. LOL.

Marvin writes:

> I support any and all grassroots initiatives to deny the
far right a public platform.

Agreed. My problem is when grassroots efforts turns to the state to bring about what they have failed to achieve.

Charles writes:

> If you sent money to pro- and anti-choice movements
at the same time, wouldn't that be supporting both at the same time ? If you support fascists' right to speak and you support non-fascists right to speak at the same time, then you are supporting fascists' right to speak.

Nice try Charles, but the analogy is flawed. Sending money to a group is materially different from advocating for the right to speak. To say people have a right to speak is one decision and to endorse the content of that speech is another. You are conflating two actions into one in order to make your argument turn out the way you want it to.

> Ok tell me what interest we have in protecting fascists
making abstract speeches that don't effect anybody else.

It is the interest we have in ANYONE making abstract speeches.

>Actually, neo-Nazis and KKK's have killed Jews and Black
people, et al. and are incited to do it by the speeches of their leaders.

Boy, human autonomy is sure taking a beating today on LBO.

> The fact that it is not immediately after a given speech, but
may take years to germinate in one racist murderer's mind doesn't make a difference to the person killed.

So just because it does not matter to the person killed, we should ignore the material facts of human autonomy and in the intervening time the racist was probably exposed to other, non-fascist speech?

> Nazism is conspiracy to commit murder, period.

An interesting definition, but then I can say that Communism under Castro was a conspiracy to murder and imprison queers. Where does that get us? Should Castro's speech have been banned since it was homophobic?

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister