[lbo-talk] Berlusconi-olympics-political opportunism

c p cpthron at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 7 16:40:44 PST 2006

This is probably a widespread newswire story by tomorrow http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/02/07/sports/s093215S43.DTL

In other news - have you noticed how there would seem to be a lot of alarm about teens in chatrooms and and myspace despite the fact that web-based communication has been widespread since '98, and IRC/BBSes/email lists were widespread for those slightly more skilled with modems before that. Well, NBC came out with this new reality-series where they team with this Portland group. Their members log onto regional chatrooms and pretend to be 13 year olds talking about being home alone. Pedophiles IM them, and they are invited to a suburban home that the show set up with hidden cameras, and then are arrested. What is most interesting is how easy this is for them, how unwary the men appear, and how many they catch - sort of multifaceted. But while this seems to be driving the myspace alarm, how long until teens start teaming up to do pranks along this same line previously impossible 10 years ago. http://www.perverted-justice.com/?archive=fleet_captain_jaime_wolfe

Italy Sees Anarchists As Olympic Threat

By ALESSANDRA RIZZO, Associated Press Writer

Tuesday, February 7, 2006

(02-07) 14:30 PST ROME, Italy (AP) --

The biggest threat to the Turin Olympics is from anarchists and anti-globalization protesters seeking international attention — not Islamic terrorists, Italy's interior minister said Tuesday.

Interior Minister Giuseppe Pisanu said there were worrying but "not alarming signals" of disruption from domestic extremists at the Winter Games, which open Friday.

"More than Islamic terrorists, for the Olympics I fear the rising aggressiveness of anti-globalization protesters ... anarchists and all the domestic subversion movement that is after the Olympic spotlight," Pisanu said. "Unfortunately these people have already done very serious damage to the image of our country."

In December, demonstrations against a high-speed train linking Turin to Lyon, France, turned violent. Pisanu said at the time that far-left extremists and anarchists who had joined the demonstrators were to blame, and warned that more violence was possible.

Last weekend, new protests against the rail link forced a detour in the Olympic torch route.

To guard against any possible airborne disruptions during Friday's opening ceremony, Turin's Caselle airport will suspend all traffic between 6:45 p.m. and 11:15 p.m., according to SAGAT, the company that operates the airport. Some flights might be rescheduled to limit disruption.

Earlier Tuesday, Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi said the country had spared no effort in providing security for the Turin Games.

"We have worked thoroughly for security and I think that no government has ever done what we have," he said.

The security plan includes increased intelligence and coordination between various law enforcement agencies, he said.

"For certain events ... we are on high alert," Berlusconi said. "Certainly, we have acknowledged that there is an extra danger, and so we are now being ... even more attentive."

Italy is mounting a massive security operation in Turin, with about 10,000 police reinforced by soldiers to protect Olympic venues. NATO is providing two AWACS surveillance planes to patrol over northern Italy during the games.

Security officials also said Monday that they were stepping up their efforts in response to worldwide protests among Muslims over caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad.

_________________________________________________________________ Don’t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/